Intrinsic aging, also known as the natural aging process, is a continuous process that normally begins in our mid-20s. Within the skin, collagen production slows, and elastin, the substance that enables skin to snap back into place, has a bit less “spring”. Dead skin cells do not shed as quickly and turnover of new skin cells may decrease slightly. While these changes usually begin in our 20s, the signs of intrinsic aging are typically not visible for decades.
The signs of intrinsic aging are:
- Fine wrinkles
- Thin and transparent skin
- Loss of underlying fat, leading to hollowed cheeks and eye sockets as well as noticeable loss of firmness on the hands and neck
- Bones shrink away from the skin due to bone loss, which causes sagging skin
- Dry skin that may itch
- Inability to sweat sufficiently to cool the skin
- Greying hair that eventually turns white
- Hair loss
- Unwanted hair
- Nail plate thins, the half moons disappear, and ridges develops
Wrinkles are inevitable as people age. As skin wrinkles, it becomes thin and fragile too. One of the best ways to reduce the signs of aging is by generating new collagen production in your skin. Collagen is an essential protein that makes the skin healthy and shiny, and gives you younger looking skin. The Dermis, the inner layer of the skin, contains large amounts of collagen whose fibers form a supporting mesh responsible for skin’s mechanical characteristics such as strength, texture and resilience. It provides the basic foundation for your skin, cushioning and supporting the epidermis (the skin’s surface) and also preventing the epidermis from collapsing in on the muscles and bones underneath. As we age our body naturally produces less collagen, resulting in aging, sagging skin. Collagen production naturally decreases approximately one percent each year. Without correction, this inevitably contributes to the development of wrinkles and a reduction in the skin’s elasticity. Products containing ingredients that stimulate collagen production are irreplaceable in anti-aging, helping your skin to delay the onset of wrinkles over time.
Spa Treatments recommended by Ginkgo to boost collagen production:
- QMS Classic Collagen Treatment
- Dr Babor Skin Renewal Facial
- Babor Skinovage Mimical Control Facial
- Collagen Fleece Mask
- Collagen Booster Fluid Ampoule Crash
Homecare suggestions to boost collagen production at home:
- Thalgo Collagen Booster – Food Supplement to maintain normal collagen production
- QMS Day/Night Collagen – a serum containing the highest concentration of natural soluble collagen to improve skin structure. Intensively restructures and plumps up the skin from the inside.
- Dr Babor Collagen Booster Cream – a skincare cream to correct wrinkles and a loss of elasticity
- Collagen Booster Fluids – this effective concentrate helps stimulate the skin’s natural production of collagen for a visibly firm look