A Continuous acidic diet creates a state of imbalance and eventually disease. How can we reach and maintain a pH-balanced state? One way is to include more alkaline-forming foods (i.e. see below) in one’s diet and to eat less acidic foods (i.e. meat, dairy, fish, eggs, sugar, fizzy drinks, coffee, tea, alcohol, nicotine, processed foods, etc.)
Here are six of the most alkaline-forming foods that one should include in one’s diet:
- Root vegetables - Radishes (black, red or white), as well as beets, carrots, turnips, horseradish, and rutabaga. Ready to eat after steaming for just 15-20 minutes, root vegetables will help you feel both satiated and better grounded.
- Cruciferous vegetables – Cruciferous vegetables (Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Kohlrabi, Horseradish, Turnips Greens, Cauliflower, Bok Choy etc) contain a symphony of phytonutrients with potent anti-cancer effects.
- Leafy Vegetables – These include Kale, Collards, Swiss Chard, Cabbage, Red and Green Leaf and Romaine Lettuce, Iceberg Lettuce and Spinach) Spinach is rich in vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, antioxidants and fibre, helping to improve digestion and even vision.
- Garlic - Modern science has shown that garlic is a powerful natural antibiotic, albeit broad-spectrum rather than targeted. Among its other benefits is its ability to promote cardiovascular and immune health by lowering blood pressure, cleansing the liver and fighting off disease.
- Cayenne peppers (capsicum) As part of a family of potent, tropical peppers which contain enzymes essential to endocrine function, cayenne is among the most alkalizing foods. It is known for its antibacterial properties and is a rich supply of vitamin A, making it a helpful agent in fighting off the harmful free radicals that lead to stress and illness. Cayenne has shown to have a positive effect on the blood circulation by stimulating blood flow and has been shown to reduce cholesterol levels and clean the blood.
• Lemons – Lemons may be the most alkalizing food of all. As a natural disinfectant, it can heal wounds while also providing potent and immediate relief for hyperacidity and virus-related conditions, as well as coughs, colds, flu and heartburn. Lemon also works to energize the liver and promote detoxification.
“He who enjoys good health is rich, though he knows it not.”